Rummy is a traditional card game, with its roots spread throughout the world, slowly expanding its wings throughout the online gaming world too. The game is also well-known and avidly played throughout India. It is entirely skill-based, which makes it more exciting and more productive than the other games online.
The 13-card Rummy Game is widely popular among all other rummy variations. It can be played between 2 to 6 players with 1 and 2 decks of cards respectively.
So, some of the essential yet simple rules of the game are worth mentioning here. It will help you in getting a clear idea about the Rummy Game.
Also, knowledge of these rules is essential in playing the game without silly mistakes or foul play.
Here we go –
- The most important rule that you need to keep in mind is the formation of sequences (order of cards, in layman’s term).
- A sequence can be understood as a collection or set of consecutive cards (like – 2, 3, 4 or 7, 8, 9 etc.) and belongs to the same suit (like – 2 ♠, 3 ♦, 4 ♠or 6 ♣, 7 ♣, 8 ♣).
- Sequences can be of two types – Pure sequence, which is formed without Joker card, and impure sequence, which is created with a Joker card. In the Rummy Game, you need to have at least one pure sequence to win the game.
- A set is the group of cards which may belong to different suits but must have the same face value, like – 6 ♠, 6 ♣, 6 ♥ or A ♣, A ♦, A ♥, etc.
- A joker, printed or wild, can be used in a valid sequence or set to complete it. For instance, if you have the following cards – 2 of clubs, 3 of clubs and 5 of clubs, you lack a number ‘4’ of clubs. In place of this, you can use the joker to complete a valid sequence. Similarly, for a valid set, this can be an example – 7 of hearts, 7 of clubs, 7 of diamonds, and joker (wild or printed one).
- You can have three as well as four cards in your valid set, which may or may not include the Joker card. This rule of the Rummy Game is generally not known to many players.
- In the end, you need to declare your game for a complete victory. Your declaration is valid only and only if – two valid sets, two valid sequences and at least one pure sequence is present.
- Dropping the game is possible at two instances – First drop (at the beginning) and Middle drop (in the middle). On the First/Initial drop, the player loses 20 points, and for Middle Drop, he loses 40 points.
So, we can see that although rummy is a mind game that demands your cognitive efforts, it is not that difficult to learn. While playing Rummy Game, it is always better to pay keen attention to the rules. The basic understanding of the game depends widely on your knowledge of the rules. The game is not as challenging as it sounds; it is actually pretty fun and relaxing. Just pay attention & have fun!