As research on nattokinase continues to emerge, more people are considering adding this supplement to their daily health regimen.
- Prevention of blood clots – By breaking down fibrin, nattokinase helps prevent blood from clotting inappropriately. Thus, it is useful for those at risk for conditions like stroke, deep vein thrombosis, and heart attack.
- Improve heart health – Natural fibrinolytic enzymes like nattokinase protect cardiovascular health.
- Enhance circulation – If blood flow is decreased by clots/plaque, taking nattokinase helps improve circulation. It promotes the oxygenation of tissues and vital organs.
- Pain relief – There is some evidence that nattokinase reduces pains associated with muscle spasms, fractures, contusions, or chronic pain. Researchers believe decreased fibrin and enhanced circulation allow tissues to heal.
- Reduce inflammation – Inflammation relates to fibrin levels in the body. Nattokinase provides an anti-inflammatory effect throughout the cardiovascular system and the whole body.
How to take nattokinase?
The most efficacious nattokinase supplement will contain 2000-4000 fibrinolytic units (FU’s) per capsule.
- Preventive use – For healthy individuals using nattokinase preventively, 500-2000 FU’s once or twice daily with meals is typical. Effects gradually increase over 1-2 months.
- Therapeutic use – Those using nattokinase therapeutically to treat a specific health condition benefit from 1000-4000 FU’s once or twice daily. Often split into smaller doses with food to enhance absorption.
- Breaks between use – To give the body a break, some cycling of 2 months on followed by 1-2 weeks off is reasonable for long-term use.
Always read labels carefully and start conservatively at a lower dose when first using nattokinase. Give your body at least 1 to 2 weeks to assess tolerance before increasing your dose. Split dosages up between meals for enhanced absorption and to minimize stomach irritation potential.
How does nattokinase work in the body?
Now that you understand the benefits and dosing you be wondering exactly how nattokinase exerts effects once ingested.
- Absorption – Taken orally, nattokinase is absorbed via the gastrointestinal tract into the blood plasma and surrounding fluids, where it begins breaking down excess fibrin.
- Fibrin degradation – The enzyme directly acts upon and degrades fibrinogen chains into smaller fragments that no longer form blood clots. It accomplishes this using a specific cleavage mechanism.
- Enhanced intrinsic activity – By fragmenting fibrinogen, nattokinase also enhances the body’s intrinsic fibrinolytic activity. It creates a prolonged effect and multiplies the benefits.
Research shows that beneficial fibrin degradation occurs within 2-3 hours of digestion and peaks around 8-10 hours. However, enhanced intrinsic effects last for up to 3 days before tapering off depending on individual factors. Nattokinase looks like a promising supplemental enzyme for cardiovascular and whole-body health, but make sure it is right for you. Start low and slow when first using nattokinase, so your body adjusts without issue. It is crucial to inform your doctor before adding any new supplement to your regimen. By maintaining an evidence-based and responsible approach, adding nattokinase offers you considerable benefits. Just be sure to pair supplementation with lifestyle factors like a nutritious diet, active lifestyle, avoidance of smoking/excess alcohol, and routine checkups.