When it comes to building a structure, such as a house, there are certain rules and regulations to follow. Local government use building inspections as a means to insure that commercial and residential constructions are done in accordance to current building codes. Talking about building inspections, these are not carried out by any person. Building inspections are normally carried out by people who are certified by the International Code Council or by the state in one or multiple building disciplines such as mechanical and electrical, plumbing, and residential construction.
Building inspectors normally work for a county or town and happen to be different from private home inspectors whom you hire to assess a residential property before you list it for sale or to assess a property you are interested in buying.
Factors to Consider
It is needless to say that there may be multiple inspections involved in several residential projects in order to ensure compliance with various building codes according to Summerton Building Inspections Adelaide. Although remodelers and builders know about the importance of such inspections, homeowners who do their own projects may often run into problems. These are some factors to consider that can help you avoid such problems.
- It is very important for you to decide who will apply for the building permit and also schedule the building inspections. If the remodeler or the builder refuses to do so, it will be better for you to find out the reason behind the refusal.
- After receiving the building permit, you will have to find out the type of inspections that re required and the purpose behind such inspections. Always take your time to understand the order of the inspections and also work as a team with your remodeler or builder to understand when these inspections need to be scheduled.
- There is nothing wrong in asking about the amount of lead time needed to schedule a building inspection. Although you may try for a specific date, there is no guarantee that you will get the desired date, since it is dependent upon the schedule of the inspector.
- Find out the fees and paperwork that will be needed while scheduling an inspection. It is important for you to understand that if you fail an inspection, you will have to go for a re-inspection, which will involve additional fees.
- Do not forget to find out the validity period of your building permit. If the permit expires before the date of the final inspection, you will have to incur additional expenses to reapply for a new permit.
- Once the final inspection id completed, it will automatically signify the completion of your building project. You will have to file the paperwork in order to recognize the completion of the final inspection. For any new construction you will have to get a certificate of occupancy issued.
Building inspection is a pretty important part of property dealing in this modern era. Although it is essential for builders in several ways, it is also important for homeowners who wish to buy a property.