According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 4 million cases of dog bites and attacks are reported in the US every year. Although known as “man’s best friend.”, dogs can be aggressive, with some breeds having a reputation for that. However, it has a lot to with each dog’s training, behavior and environment. A dog owner is expected to ensure the safety of others, including other pets, around the dog. In case you have been bitten by a dog and you believe that the dog owner is responsible for the same, you must consider contacting one of the Colorado Springs personal injury lawyers.
Here are some basic steps to follow –
- Seek medical care. While a dog bite may not seem to be as serious as getting injured in a car accident, you still have to get medical care. Even if you have taken the tetanus shot, you may have some risk of infection and rabies. Check with a doctor to get the best possible medical assistance immediately.
- Inform the police. Probably the neighbor’s dog bit you, and the injury doesn’t seem severe. Even then, you have to inform the police of the incident. This is not because you want the dog to be put down, but for documenting the incident. This will come in handy to file a lawsuit.
- Take images. Ensure that the photos of the injury immediately after the bite. That will help in establishing the extent of your suffering, if and as you choose to file a personal injury lawsuit against the owner.
- Find witnesses. Keep in mind that you will have to prove that your injury was caused by dog, and without any provocation. For that, you have to find witnesses to the incident, which will only strengthen your case. Make sure that you find as many witnesses and sources as possible.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer. This is probably the most important step for filing a lawsuit and knowing if you have a lawsuit in the first place. Allow a personal injury lawyer to evaluate the case, and don’t shy away from asking questions related to their expertise.
Keep in mind that just because you have been bitten by the neighbor’s dog, it doesn’t mean that you can get a good amount in compensation. Just check online for a personal injury lawyer, who can take things ahead and ensure that your rights are protected.