More than 1 million people in America are suffering from HIV. Of many drugs effective on HIV patients, Truvada was considered a breakthrough solution. Truvada can effectively prevent and treat HIV, a life-threatening infection. Unfortunately, the active ingredient in the drug may cause some serious side-effects than originally believed.
Baneful Effects of Truvada
Of five HIV drugs manufactured and sold by Gilead Sciences, one of the leading drugmakers, Truvada has an ingredient namely Tenofovir Disproxil Fumarate or TDF.
According to researchers, TDF causes some serious adverse effects including the followings:
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Acute Kidney injury
- Renal Failure
- Renal Insufficiency Impairment
- End-Stage Renal Failure
- Bone Breaks Fractures
- Bone Density Loss
- Tooth Loss
If you or any of your loved ones has suffered any of the above-listed side-effects after taking a drug containing TDF, you are entitled to receive compensation. To get compensation, the victims need to file Truvada lawsuits.
Lawsuits for Truvada Side-Effects
Several HIV patients, who have consumed TDF drugs, reportedly file lawsuits for getting financial compensation via Truvada settlement. Talk to an experienced attorney to learn whether you have a strong chance to receive compensation.
Truvada lawsuits claim that:
- TDF-containing drugs are unnecessarily and unreasonably causing toxicity to patients’ bones and kidneys
- Gilead, the manufacturer, knew well before marketing the drug that TDF could cause toxicity despite the availability of much less toxic alternatives.
- The company failed to warn doctors and consumers about the necessity to monitor the patients for any side effect
- The Gilead never considered using a safe alternative for over a decade in order to make more money despite several patients reporting severe side effects
Truvada Drug Facts
TDF contains two kinds of HIV drugs – FDC (or emtricitabine)and TDF. Medications similar to Truvada are prescribed for HIV patients to take once every day.
The combination is used to:
- Block an enzyme that effectively prevents infection from multiplying and thus treat HIV
- Cut down the chance of HIV contraction as a part of “pre-exposure prophylaxis”, which is one of the latest tools for HIV prevention
The drug got approval from the FDA in 2004 as a potential treatment for HIV. Gilead later secured FDA approval for PrEP use in 2012.
Truvada Lawsuit Settlements
As per Truvada lawsuits, the manufacturer was unwilling to hurt drug sales by admitting that its TDF containing products were causing severe side-effects to the patients. Gilead made billions by hiding the truth.
The drug manufacturers should have never be permitted to exploit HIV patients. Many experienced lawyers stand firm with the HIV patients, who have suffered serious damages after taking TDF and help them recoup money.
What Qualities to Look into a Lawyer before Filing a Truvada Lawsuit?
You should keep in mind that every qualified lawyer is not the right person to represent an HIV patient who has been a victim of consuming TDF-containing drugs. You should hire a lawyer having specialization in this particular field and successfully representing such patients. Skill, specialization, experienced, track record and fees are five important criteria to consider before hiring a lawyer for filing a Truvada lawsuit.